Friday, May 28, 2010

poor


are we poor?
i used to ask my mother
when
i couldn't have the goodies
i would like

and she would say, no ofcourse not

and i would get my goodie

she would say
don't tell your grandmother about \this or
she will
have a bird!
or sometimes
SHE WOULD HAVE A COW!

and i was to young to
understand
metaphors
and exaggeration
so I would
picture grandmother
with a bird on her shoulder
yelling

why did you buy all those goodies!!

and now,
my mother
works and her husband doesn't
and i ask,

are you doing ok mother?
with money?

and shes yes, oh yes it's fine
things are ok

and i ask to borrow
for rent
and she says
cash or cheque

and then tells me about her third mortgage on
the same house

poor i guess,
is different from
debt i think to myself
and
picture my grandmother
having a bird
on her
shoulder
as
mother asks
whose name to
to write
on the
cheque

No comments:

Post a Comment