Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Goodnight, again

The morning walked in and slapped me in the face.
It was raw and tense and awkward,
Kind of like running into an ex lover.

The room flooded with light,

My eyes opened,
There was no turning back,
It was a sinking feeling,
Like realizing your dog had ran away,
Or passing a dead bird.

I did not want to be awake.

I contemplated sinking back under the covers but
The cat was awake now and hungry and purring
Loudly

I sat on the edge of the bed
Wondering what time it was
And thinking about breakfast or
Lunch,
Depending.

I tried to remember how I got home,
Where I left the car,
What I might have said to herrrr

Then reality slowly started swimming back to me like a dripping faucet,
And suddenly hit like a tidal wave,

I began to sweat.

I did not want to be awake.

It's hard to know which way to run,
When the escape becomes
What you're trying to escape from.

No comments:

Post a Comment